Woody Allen says he plans to quit acting.
The Oscar-winning director and screenwriter told a Spanish newspaper La Vanguardia in an interview published on Saturday that he intends his next film to be his last, and that he will then focus more on writing, as he would like to work on a novel. He said his 50th and final film, which he previously said would shoot in France later this year, will have a similar tone to his 2005 thriller. Match point.
“My idea, in principle, is not to do more movies and focus on writing,” Allen, 86, told the publication.
Earlier this year, Allen told Alec Baldwin during an Instagram Live chat that he’ll likely direct one last project, but the “thrill is gone” for him with filmmaking.
The filmmaker, known for his prolific production of titles, has seen his popularity in the US decline significantly amid the #MeToo movement and resurfaced allegations of sexual abuse of his daughter Dylan Farrow.
Amazon Studios canceled its four-movie, $68 million deal, and the director’s recent films have struggled to find distribution.
The four-part HBO docuseries from Kirby Dick and Amy Ziering Allen versus Farrow, focusing on Farrow’s allegations, premiered in February 2021. Allen denied the allegations and previously called the docuseries “a hatchet job”.
Allen’s most recent film was Rifkin’s Partywhich premiered at the San Sebastian Film Festival in Spain in 2020 before getting a limited US release from MPI Media Group.
He won the Best Director Oscar for his 1977 film Annie Hallwhich also nabbed Best Picture, and it prevailed in the Best Original Screenplay category for Annie Hall, Hannah and her sisters and Midnight in Paris.
Check out the latest Hollywood news here.